March 30, 2011

It's a Small World After All

Conversation remained nonexistent following our last encounter, but it didn't bother me. It seemed to be Muscles' pattern, to wait until his breaking point before reaching out. I was surprised however, to see his name in my newsfeed, tagged in the post of a friend. And floored to see his smiling face in her best friend's profile pic, with him proudly listed as her boyfriend.

While I have been both the shattered partner and the other woman, I usually do not get involved in the intricacies of others relationships. Mainly because even when I was that girl, I didn't see the harm. It was his choice to stray, not mine. But for some reason this was different, perhaps because he was slowly invading my personal life. Because knowing her name, seeing her face, made her real.

Following the girl code of chicks before dicks, I made inquires and discovered that the girlfriend has in fact been The Girlfriend while Muscles and I were doing the dirty. Though dating only for a short while, he had been dreaming of marriage and a little house with a white picket fence and she fell for it hook line and sinker.

I don't know if Kell ever ended up breaking the news to her friend and ultimately shattering her happiness but it's got me thinking. I'm beginning to feel like "Good Luck Chuck." Muscles marks the fourth "I don't want a relationship at all, with anyone, period" to shove me aside for a serious girlfriend. The Kid and I have been having some discussions on the matter, and believes it's partly my fault. Though I've decided that perhaps I want a relationship after all, I only ever offer and expect the sex.

2 comments:

Richard said...

I wanted to say it's funny how things get complicated, but when I think about it, it's not funny at all.

Tuesday said...

No I think your first instinct was right. It is funny how utterly and ridiculously complicated situations can become. It has to be funny, otherwise it's too damn depressing.