March 6, 2011

Bane of my existence?

The internet is a slightly disconcerting thing. No, thing is not the right word. A thing is lifeless, and the internet has become a life force all it's own. Perhaps entity is more appropriate. I'll settle on entity for now. The dawn of the internet has created a world so information filled that ignorance of any sort is scoffed at; a world so interconnected that it seems there are truly only six degrees of separation between me and you. And in some ways it's truly incredible. But sometimes I wonder if it's too much.

The internet is how I knew he was starting to talk to her; how I knew that he and I were coming to an end. It's where I learned of their facebook official relationship, as well as it's eventual demise. And it's how I know that even as we've begun talking again, he's having adventures with someone else. Without the power of the internet, I would never be privy to this information. I would have been blissfully ignorant. And I would have been happy with that.

0 comments: